TYPES OF CANCER
Cancer is not just one disease. There are more than 200 types of cancers, but the four most common cancers are breast, colon, lung, and prostate cancers. Cancer can occur anywhere in the body and are categorized as:
- Carcinomas: Carcinomas are the most common type of cancers among older people and affect various organ systems including colon, breast, prostate, skin, lung, etc. More than 80% of all cancers are carcinomas.
- Sarcomas: They originate from connective tissues such as muscle, bone, cartilage fiber, tissue or fat.
- Leukemia: This is cancer of the blood cells. Leukemia is the most common type of cancer among children, however far more adults than children develop leukemia.
- Lymphomas: They are cancer cells in the lymphatic system and also arise from cells that make blood. The lymphatic system is a network of vessels and nodes that access the body's filter system. There are more than 30 types of lymphomas. Lymphoma is usually developed in adults.
- Germ Cell Tumor: These are rare tumors and originate from germ cells. Germ cell tumors can be cancerous or non-cancerous cells, and they usually occur within the gonads (testis or ovary).
- Blastoma: They originate from immature cells or embryonic tissues.
Human cancers are classified based on where or in which system of the human body it originates. Here are some common cancers in the body system:
- Stomach, pancreas, gallbladder, liver, colon, rectal, and anal cancers are part of the digestive system. Head and neck, and esophageal cancers are part of the digestive system.
- Leukemia, lymphomas and Hodgkin's disease are parts of the blood and lymphatic systems.
- Malignant melanoma and skin cancers are part of skin system.
- Kidney, bladder, prostate, and testis cancers are part of urinary system.
- Breast, ovarian, choriocarcinoma, and uterine cancers are within the gynecological system.
- Nasopharyngeal, laryngeal, lip and oral cavity, thyroid, and throat cancers are within the head and neck system.
- Bone tumors and soft tissues sarcomas are part of the musculoskeletal system.
- Brain tumors, pituitary tumors, and primary central nervous system (CNS) lymphomas are within the neurologic system.
- Bladder, kidney or renal cancer, prostate, urethral, and testicular cancers are part of the genitourinary system.